Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cha Cha Cha Cha Change-ez!

(That's supposed to be a David Bowie-inspired title. Not sure how well it translates into print.)

Anyways, changes good and bad over the July 4th weekend.

Bad changes- Rammies the cat died in his sleep. That, or the real truth is that he probably knew what was coming for him and curled up to get ready. Animals definitely know things that we do not. Either way, my parents found him in his usual sleeping position. We are all a little relieved we didn't have to take him in to get put down, and as far as these things can go, he went peacefully. He's been a constant in our lives for a long time, and he will be sorely missed. RIP Rams.

Good changes- We painted the cabinets and walls of our kitchen all day yesterday. The good news...I felt we had accomplished something. The bad news... I didn't accomplish jack.

1- The finish on the cabinets is not even remotely as smooth and seamless as I had hoped, which means I need to try and put on a smoother, second coat on top. Yeah that whole "a paintbrush gives the smoothest finish" is a total crock. Just do the rollers. 2- We painstakingly painted the kitchen walls a pretty blue color. The problem? It's pretty, but it's also definitely not what I wanted. It's way darker than it looked in the store, and it's even darker than I had imagined in my mind for this space.

I never understood people who would put samples of paints on their walls. The entire concept seems rediculous and frivilous to me. It reminds me of something that only people in movies do when they were renovating a room. That or something you'd see on HGTV. Like seriously..the thought of going to a paint store, and actually spending my hard earned cash on a few little tiny pints of paint, driving home, dirtying multiple paint brushes just to swipe one stroke on the wall and stand there staring? That's absolute nonsense. I've painted many a room/object in my life and I have always just made a decision, and was always dead on...until now.
I take back my cocky tone towards those who do this process of painting one little patch of wall. Why? Because I've now learned that it's not as rediculous as painting an entire room, covering every little inch of it with paint with the greatest of care, then stepping back and thinking... Wow, I don't like it, which means I now have to spend more money on more paint, and do this ALL over again. AWESOMENESS. Pure awesomeness.

Andy thinks (and hopes) it will grow on me. Nothing yet. We shall see...

2 comments:

  1. This has been my painting life...until I got knocked up. I suppose Maksi took over? This could be the case- he DOES have impeccable taste in parents and all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about Ramses, I'm so glad he went the way he did though.

    and I'm the same way about paint samples. I never understood why people would waste their time but I think that just means I'm impatient. I pretty much pick a color at Lowes and order it right up without bothering to see what it looks like in the room. Then live with it.

    So has it grown on you yet?

    ReplyDelete